Dr. Karen Liu, D.C., L.Ac, is currently a Chiropractor and licensed Acupuncturist at the Wellness for Life Center in Santa Monica. A native to the area, she completed her bachelors at the University of California Los Angeles. It was during her time at UCLA that she was introduced first hand to the benefits of alternative medicine through her mentor, Dr. Susanne Bennett. Dr. Liu was able to witness patient’s positively transform their lives and health, which sparked her passion for pursuing a profession in wellness and holistic healthcare.
Dr. Liu completed her graduate studies at the Southern California University of Health Sciences in an intensive dual program to receive her Doctorate in Chiropractic (D.C.) and a Master’s in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (MAOM). Graduating on the dean’s list for both colleges, with the Magna Cum Laude distinction in her MAOM. Upon graduation, she was also the recipient of the E. Maylon Drake Humanitarian Award in her Chiropractic class and the Student Affairs award in her Acupuncture class.
Before coming to the Wellness for Life Center, Dr. Liu saw the importance of encompassing herself into a variety of settings and populations. She really wanted to gain an understanding on how the body worked and how it might begin to deteriorate or become injured, so that she could piece together a solution. She has worked in private practice, various sporting and health related events, and multidisciplinary health centers, where she collaborated with other healthcare specialists. She has traveled on mission trips to the Dominican Republic to offer chiropractic services to those in need and interned abroad at Taiwan’s Chung Gung Memorial Hospital to further her knowledge in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
Dr. Liu’s personal mission is to help and inspire change for the better in those around her. She believes that everyone can live healthier, make more educated decisions, and transform into happier people – it may just take a little work and restructuring. Through the combination of chiropractic and acupuncture, she hopes to activate each individual’s innate ability to heal from within and prevent disease by balancing their mental, physical, and nutritional wellbeing.
Growing up in Diamond Bar, California, Dr. Liu has been very active in local community outreach services volunteering time to St. Jude’s Medical Center, the UCLA Medical Center’s Mood Disorders Research, Boeing’s Summer Science Program, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation. She is also an active alumni member for UCLA and SCU. In her spare time, she enjoys practicing yoga, doing crossfit, hiking, swimming, traveling, going to art and music festivals, and reading.
Certifications & Post-Graduate Studies:
- Board Certified Chiropractor – National Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Board of Chiropractic Examiners in California
- Board Certified to practice Physiotherapy – National Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- Board Licensed Acupuncturist – California Acupuncture Board
- Clean Needle Technique Certification – The Council of Colleges of Oriental Medicine
- Certified Yoga Teacher – Loyola Marymount University’s Yoga Doctors Program
- Kinesiology Taping & RockTape PMT Certified
- NAET (Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Technique)
- Mei Zen Cosmetic Acupuncture: face, neck & abdominal
- Webster Technique Certified – International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA)
- ProSport chiropractic active member
- United Acupuncture Association active member
Multidisciplinary Health Centers: gaining valuable experience in working with an integrative approach from nurses, acupuncturists, medical doctors, and chiropractors for the benefit of the patient.
- Southern California University of Health Sciences Whittier Health Center (SCU)
- Cal State Los Angeles Health Center (CSULA)
- Cal State Fullerton Health Center (CSUF)
- University of Southern California Health Center (USC)
- Wildflower Triathlon
- Rock & Roll Marathon, Los Angeles
- USA Taekwondo Tournaments
- USA Water Polo Training
- Derby Dolls of Los Angeles
- CrossFit: CrossFit Games, Southern California CrossFit Regionals, Northern California CrossFit Regionals, Shakedown, Wodgear, Femme Royale
**She was the first doctor to bring Acupuncture to the medic tents of all major Southern California CrossFit competitions, including regionals and games.
- Waxman’s Affiliate Weightlifting Invitational
- LA Dream Center
- Being Alive Clinic in West Hollywood
- Chiromission (Domican Republic, 2010 & 2011)
- Spinal & Health Center of Santa Monica
- Wellness For Life Center